Safeguarding is of paramount importance at Derwent Lower School. We have a number of members of staff who are trained to be 'Designated Safeguarding Leads' and all our staff receive regular training on safeguarding. Our safeguarding / child protection procedures can be found in our Safeguarding Policy below:
The Designated Safeguarding Lead at Derwent Primary School is the Headteacher, James Adkins (repeated full Designated Safeguarding Lead training on autumn 2019).
The Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads across the Derwent and Southill Federation, who have also undertaken the full Designated Person training, are:
- Mrs Tenille Rimmer (Interim Deputy Headteacher Autumn 2020)
- Mrs Karolina Piera-Harris (Interim assistant Headteacher and Class Teacher)
- Mrs Sonya Read (Interim assistant Headteacher and Class Teacher)
The nominated Governor for Safeguarding is Dee Perkins.
In addition the following members of staff have undertaken Safer Recruitment training:
- Mr James Adkins (Headteacher - Autumn 2019)
- Miss Rebecca Byrne (Deputy Headteacher - Summer 2017)
Equally the following members of the school have undertaken training in managing allegations of abuse against teachers and other staff:
- Mr James Adkins (Headteacher - Spring 2017)
- Mr Gavin Coombs (Governor - Spring 2017)
Derwent Lower School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children. All staff and governors must ensure that they are aware of these procedures.
Some key government documents relating to safeguarding include:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education
- What to do if you're worried a child is being abused
- Working Together to Safeguard Children
As part of our commitment to safeguarding, all staff at Derwent undertook core WRAP (Prevent) training in January 2016. This Prevent training is repeated regularly at Derwent for new staff that have joined us after January 2016.
If you have a safeguarding concern then please email a member of the Senior Leadership Team at firstname.lastname@example.org
In PSHE and SEAL sessions we teach the children how to stay safe at a level appropriate to them. Please find below our long term plan for PSHE.
Updated: September 2020